Wednesday, January 4

Greek Balls - Kourambiedes

Wow, has it really been a month since I last posted? Shame on me! What have I been doing? Baking, wrapping, gifting, all the usual holiday stuff. I think I baked about 15 dozen cookies -- so far. 

Tonight alone, I made 2 different kinds totaling 7 dozen.  One of the cookies I made was from an older woman named Mary, who lived on the third floor of my uncle's Chinese Laudromat. We always visited her when we went to his place in the Summers. She'd give us lemonade and these rich butter cookies and these awesome, light morsels covered in powered sugar. 

She's passed away over 20 years ago, but her recipe lives on. We've always called them Greek Balls because Mary was from Greece, but (thank you internet) I think the real name is Kourambiedes. 

There are some delicious and complicated recipes on the internet but I think some of the best recipes are those simple original ones handed down. I'm sharing them with you to pay forward the delicious yumminess that was shared with me as a child.



Greek Balls

Ingredients:
4 sticks  unsalted butter - room tempurature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/.2 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups chopped pecans 

Save a bowl of extra powdered sugar for finishing.


Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Blend powdered sugar and flour together well. 
In a bowl, mix butter until light and fluffy
Add in the flour-sugar mixture, egg yolk, vanilla and chopped nuts - mix well. 

Form into balls, bake 8 to 10 minutes. 
Immediately roll in powdered sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!

Scrapbook Pages

www.flickr.com

Sample Text